Saturday, May 9, 2009

Parmesan Orzo & Meatballs

I found this recipe in Betty Crocker One-Dish Meals & modified it to my liking. The original recipe calls for frozen bell peppers & frozen onions. I opted for fresh vegetables & added garlic.
Make this a complete dinner by added a side salad & crusty bread.

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 small onion, cut into strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsps Italian dressing
1 can (14 oz) beef broth
1 cup (6 oz) uncooked orzo
1 bag (10.5 oz) frozen cooked Italian meatballs (about 16)*
1 can (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 Tbsps chopped fresh parsley**
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat skillet over medium-high heat
Add dressing, red pepper, onion, & garlic to skillet; cook 2 mins
Stir broth into vegetables; heat to boiling
Stir in pasta & meatballs
Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low
Cover & simmer 10 mins, stirring occasionally
Stir in tomato
Cover & simmer 3 - 5 mins or until most of the liquid has been absorbed & pasta is tender
Sprinkle with cheese

* I couldn't find frozen Italian meatballs at the store, so I picked up freshly made meatballs at Central Market. I suppose I could have made them too, but I didn't feel like it. I cooked the meatballs before cooking the vegetables & set them on a paper towel to drain. I then added them with the pasta.
** I forgot to buy parsley, this dish was still delicious without it.

No comments: