Thursday, September 4, 2008

Italian Tomato & White Bean Soup

This recipe comes from the very 1st cookbook I ever bought after moving out of my parent's house - "Recipes to the Rescue: Thrilling Kitchen Adventures. . .Just in the Nick of Time!"
I've modified it just a little bit. . .the original recipe says to sprinkle the bacon & part of the basil on top of the soup, to use frozen chopped onion, & bottled minced garlic. I mixed it the bacon & all of the basil into the soup with the rest of the ingredients & used fresh onion & garlic. Oh and I used 6 slices of bacon not 4 like the original recipe said.

Ingredients:
6 slices of bacon
1 cup chopped onion
2 -3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 1/2 oz) can white kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 (14 1/2 oz) can chicken broth*
1/3 cup snipped fresh basil
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup finely shredded Romano cheese**

In a large saucepan cook bacon until crisp***
Remove bacon, reserving 1 Tbsp drippings in pan
Drain bacon on paper towels
Crumble bacon; set aside
Cook onions & garlic in drippings until tender
Add crushed tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, basil, & sugar
Bring to boiling; add bacon
Reduce heat & simmer, uncovered for 10 mins
Season to taste with salt & pepper
Top each serving with cheese

* I used low-sodium chicken broth
** I used Parmesan cheese
*** To save time I pre-cut the bacon before cooking it

No comments: